Sunday, December 18, 2005

Do I have to give it away?

My sister's christmas gifts:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Even though I gave up on the Shedir plan, I still wanted her to have a hat to go with the scarf, so I busted out a Kim's Hat from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, combining the leftover Manos with some Rio de la Plata, which is honest to crap the softest yarn in the history of yarn. This stuff makes the Manos feel like a brillo pad. Why do more people not rave about this? (Price probably--$17 for 165 yards of worsted-weight at my LYS. I am a good sister.)

Oh. My. God. HOW CUTE IS THIS HAT? I want it, I need it, I have to have it.

But it is not meant to be. Right? It would be wrong not to give my sister a Christmas present, right? Like, really, go-to-hell, coal-in-your-stocking wrong. Dammit. There is no way I can justify keeping this hat, and that makes me weep a little inside.

But hey, weeping a little inside--isn't that the true spirit of Christmas?

Specs:
My So-Called Scarf
Yarn: 2.5 Skeins of Manos del Uruguay, Colorway 113.
Needles: Random Size 11s.
Started: Sunday, December 4
Finished: Friday, December 16
Notes: I worked a K2Tog bindoff, which looked better than a standard bind-off, I think.

Kim's Hat
Yarn: .5 skeins Manos, Color 113; .5 skeins Rio de la Plata in Pink Carnation
Needles: Size 9 bamboo DPNs
Started: Saturday, December 17
Finished: Saturay, December 17
Notes: Made hat a little shorter than the pattern suggested, and could have made it a few rows shorter still. Pompoms are a pain in the ass but super cute!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I hope my sister never finds your blog, because I would get in SO much trouble for not being as good a sister as you. I've only ever knit her socks. You are putting me to shame.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I be your new sister? I swear I would SO appreciate a beautiful gift like that. It just might be cutest hat/scarf set ever...

8:02 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

That scarf is just to die for. And you look so bloody adorable! Make yourself a set after Xmas!

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very, *very* nice. And the hat & scarf are lovely too.

12:59 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

WOW - that is a gorgeous hat/scarf set - I hope your sister knows how much you must love her to part with it!! That hat is just too frickin' cute!

2:28 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Your hat is so cute! The one benefit to having to walk all the way to work in the cold (b/c of our transit strike) is that it provides the perfect excuse to wear handknit hats.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that hat issuper cute! I have to buy that book one of these days!

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made my best friend a So Called Scarf in almost the same colorway for Christmas this year. Even as she was opening it I was wondering, "Maybe I should just keep that..."! Luckily, she loved it as much as I did and that made it easier to let go. It's hard to give away your knitting!

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home