Thursday, December 01, 2005

Pattern? We don't need no stinkin' pattern.

OK. See this maroon yarn (Lambs' Pride Bulky in Medieval Red, to be precise), posing seasonally with some cinnamon-scented pinecones?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is the sleeves (and neckband) of my brother-in-law's baseball-jersey-style raglan sweater (to be named The Hawk Will Never Die, in homage to the mascot of the St. Joseph's University basketball team, which must flap its arms continuously for the entire game. It gets a scholarship for doing this). The Hawk, eventually, will have an oatmeal-colored body, whenever the yarn gets here, which better be soon, because...yeah.

But that's ok, because I still need to figure out the pattern. I mean, it's a raglan, so that's easy enough, but I need opinions on this topic: Sweater body: Wide rib (4x2, probably) or plain stockinette? Sleeves will be pain stockinette, I think, or should they be ribbed too? I'm so indecisive, which is not a good thing to be 25 days out.

Oh well. That's why I went with the bulky yarn.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi--
I think that there is a baseball jersey pattern in the so-called men's issue of knitty from a couple of seasons ago. Or is there something dastardly bad about that pattern that I should be wary of?

3:59 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

I saw that pattern, but I'm not crazy about several elements--the ribbing at cuffs and waist, the cabling on the sleeves, and the neckline. This one will either have a raw edge at the bottom (if I do the 4x2 rib) or a hemmed edge (if it's stockinette) and will just have a basic ribbed neckband rather than a mock t-neck.

I'd draw it, but you know who can't draw? Me.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lot of knitting on your list. I think mine's about as long. So now the big question is, how many gifts will we be buying on Christmas Eve to replace half-finished knits? :)

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for plain stockinette all the way--sleeves and body--2 x 2 ribbed neckline and a 2 x 1 rib for the cuffs and bottom edge, only because hemmed edging might turn out too chunky with the bulky yarn. Just my $0.02 :) Good luck with all that knitting!

5:51 PM  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

I love your sneaky blog idea! Have fun. I'm writing, er, knitting along here.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I vote with parikha. Plain, plain, plain. It will make it go faster. But does it also depend on your brother in law? Is he a big guy? In which case maybe plain really is the better way to go? Or if he's thin, the ribs will bulk him up. (how do you like *that* nonanswer?)

10:34 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Oh, also...."pain stockinette." Hee hee...freudian slip. Sorry, couldn't resist!

10:36 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Olga, I think you're totally right. If he's a skinny guy he'd look great in the ribbed knit, but if he's standard size to bigger in the middle, I think stockinette is the way to go. What about a mini-v for the neckline? Or is that too '97 Ross from Friends?

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if the sleeves are going to be stockinette, i think the body should be too. if the body is ribbed, i'd say the sleeves should be too else he might look deformed.

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another vote for stockinette! but my visual imagination needs a good deal of help.
By the way, a scholarship? I think he should get a car, and a house, and...
Well, at least a masseuse/masseur. :-)

2:53 PM  
Blogger The Stitchin' Sheep said...

In my experience, guys like loose fit ribs. My husband, for example, likes the look of ribbing, but doesn't want it skin tight to show his curves - know what I mean? The plain ole manly sweater from the first Stitch 'N Bitch book, though not a raglan, may be a nice plain option.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home