Thursday, December 08, 2005

Ok, yeah, I am actually crazy.

Why, why, why, I thought I could knit a sweater (a grown-up, man-sized sweater) during the 3 busiest weeks of the semester, let alone a sweater and all the other stuff, is beyond me right now. But I'm giving it all I've got.

Here's the sleeve, redone:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Much better fitwise, although it ate a LOT of yarn. I'm going to run out, I can feel it in my anxiety-ridden bones. Besides the size, I also changed the wrist. Parikha, you were right: the bulky yarn was too, well, bulky for the folded-over hem. Plus it wasted yarn, what with the folding over. So I'm going with the J.Crew-esque rolled hem, which will also be at the bottom of the sweater. Yes, it wastes a bit of yarn too, but only about half the rows of the folded hem. It really didn't roll as far as I'd thought. And, in the end, as you see, I did not rib. My conclusion was that if this had been a lighter-weight yarn, I would have, but with the bulky, poor Dino would just look lumpy.

On other holiday fronts, I've already let some of these escape without documentation (hey, something's got to give), but here is one variation of the Teeny Tiny Aran Sweaters that will accompany many of my Christmas gifts (and in some cases will be gifts on their own):

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Please do not make fun of my fake tree. I was convinced that if I brought a real tree into the house, Bailey would mistake it for a giant stick buffet.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you on the crazy thing. I've convinced myself that it's okay that I've got exams and applications to finish all next week, because then I can go home and knit nostop for the next week. Because that' really going to happen... But in my head it all works out.

The sweater ornament is adorable, and I wouldn't have known the tree was fake if you hadn't told me. Good luck with all end of the semester grading and other fun stuff!

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't tell the tree was fake, either. And if I had to pick between a fake tree and a poisoned pet, I would say the fake tree is the right choice.

I saw another blogger use copper craft wire to make cute little clothes hangers for her mini sweaters, so they can hang on a tree. An idea that's totally worth stealing! :)

4:03 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

that little mini Aran is to die for!!! and at least you have a tree. I strung tinsel around my CD rack and called it a night.

6:45 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

That little sweater is cute enough to eat! And I totally wouldn't have noticed that the tree is fake. But after last year's apartment tree removal debacle I am seriously considering going the faux-tree route.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Kaviare said...

I think it's a sickness. Something in the air, maybe? Or in the yarn, might be truer. I personally, have signed up for NaKNiSweMo, because what I really need is more deadline knitting. I am sitting on my urges to knit socks, ornaments, blankets and sweaters for EVERYBODY I KNOW for christmas.

Because A summer christmas in Australia is the perfect time to gift aran-weight knitted jackets.

Do you think there's a support group for this? Oh, I guess we're it, huh?

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home